By Julie Smith
I was happy to co-present a session at this week’s Atlanta BI User Group with Rob Volk (@SQL_R) meeting entitled “Harvesting XML Data from the Web with Power Query and Curl.” The demo gods were not with me on my grand finale demo that night however. I had spent the demo building a Power Query Function and when I tried to invoke it against a list of values, I got a failure which I couldn’t resolve that night. Of course, as soon as I opened the spreadsheet the next day I immediately saw the problem, which I will share here, as I think it is probably going to be something people encounter frequently as they start to work with Power Query.
What the Function Did:
Here’s the setup: www.SQLSaturday.com contains a page for every SQL Saturday, and if it’s available, the schedule for the event. Atlanta’s last event was this month and was SQL Saturday #285-hence, its schedule is located at http://sqlsaturday.com/285/schedule.aspx. Any other SQL Saturday event number works in the same manner. If I want to use Power Query to view this data as a page, I would enter that url as the source in Power Query:
After choosing Table 1 from the choices on the Navigator pane: Continue reading Power Query Functions–Some Scenarios